Sunday, February 16, 2014

BOOK REVIEW: The Advent of Murder, by Martha Ockley

The Advent of Murder:
A Faith Morgan Mystery
Author: Martha Ockley
Publisher: Lion Hudson
Publication Date: July 19, 2013
Source: NetGalley
View on Amazon



Oh I'm a sucker for a good vicar mystery. The Father Dowling MysteriesThe Father Brown Stories (both with excellent TV adaptations), Sidney Chambers stories (we need more of those!) and now, the Faith Morgan series.

Faith Morgan is a lot of cozy mystery detective types all in one. She's a former police officer who has changed careers and become a vicar, and she has to deal with her surly police inspector of an ex-boyfriend Ben (I've never thought of vicars as having ex-boyfriends), and in this one she has to solve a murder while planning the Christmas pageant. Oh and it's a Christmas cozy! Basically this book was written with me in mind. If it had somehow included recipes or puzzles, I would have been in heaven.




I liked this one a lot. I had high expectations because, as I said, the setup ticked a lot of boxes for me, and I wasn't disappointed. One of the big advantages of having a clergy member as an amateur sleuth is that it gives a perfect excuse for your character to be both nosy and interested in solving crimes. Most of Faith's sleuthing was done under the guise of ministering to her parish, which worked out well. I'll definitely be looking for other books in this series.

Martha Ockley is a pen-name of writer Rebecca Jenkins (not to be confused with the Canadian actress of the same name). You can read more about her and her books on her website.

No comments:

Post a Comment