Wednesday, February 19, 2014

BOOK REVIEW: The Body in the Sleigh, by Katherine Hall Page

The Body in the Sleigh: A Faith Fairchild Mystery, by Katherine Hall Page
Published by William Morrow on October 27, 2009
Review first appeared on Cozy Little Book Journal on February 2, 2014

I've read at least one Faith Fairchild mystery before and I enjoyed it, but this one didn't quite live up to my expectations. It started off very promising but the pace slowed to a crawl at times and it seemed the author was still laying down establishing details and character background right up to the last page.




Plus, the titular murder--the so-called body in the sleigh--takes a back seat to the far more interesting story of the baby in the manger (very much alive, thankfully). If that sounds like a Christmas cliché it's because it's meant to. Katherine Hall Page weaves a tale of an abandoned baby named Christopher found in a barn by a spinster goat farmer named--of course--Mary. And on Christmas Eve no less. As trite as it all sounds, I did find it engaging and I could happily read more about Mary and her goats.

The rest of the book, unfortunately, was less memorable. In fact I can barely remember why the "body in the sleigh" was killed or by whom, and I literally just finished reading it ten minutes ago. I do know that it was finally unravelled at the very end of the book and by that time I wasn't all that invested anymore. It was related--sort of--to the baby in the barn but that was the only storyline I found myself caring much about (the book was sort of a "Mary's goats" mystery more than a "Faith Fairchild" one).

All in all, I'd say this book had great elements--really great at times, in fact--but they didn't add up to a great book.






No comments:

Post a Comment