Friday, February 21, 2014

BOOK REVIEW: The Cuckoo's Calling, by Robert Galbraith (aka J.K. Rowling)

The Cuckoo's Calling
Author: Robert Galbraith (aka J.K. Rowling)
Publisher: Mulholland Books
Publication Date:
Source: my local library
View on Amazon

I forgot to write a review for this when I read it months ago. Basically my feelings can best be summed up with this chart:






It felt a little long in the middle, but then I realized it was a "fair play" mystery, meaning that all of the information and clues that we would need to solve the crime were presented throughout the book. That's always nice, so I gave it extra points. But I also don't feel bad about not being interested in it before I knew J.K. Rowling was the author because the cover, description and fake author bio are just godawful. The book is WAY better than its description would suggest. I know everyone wants to use this book as an abject lesson in the fickleness of readers or the importance of name recognition or something, but I don't think anyone has anything to feel bad about for ignoring this book before its authorship was revealed. It was packaged terribly. But the book itself was pretty good. Better than average, I'd say. Though it was weird to read something by J.K. Rowling--knowing it was by J.K. Rowling--in which nearly every single character is such a racist. That was kind of icky. I'm going to go re-read Harry Potter and try to forget the whole thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment