Friday, February 14, 2014

BOOK REVIEW: The Case of the Love Commandos, by Tarquin Hall

The Case of the Love Commandos
From the Files of Vish Puri, India's Most Private Investigator
A Vish Puri Novel
Author: Tarquin Hall
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Publication Date: October 8, 2013
Source: Edelweiss, Net Galley

Yay! You know that joy you feel when, after discovering a new mystery author and thinking perhaps you have a new favourite series, you then read a second book by that author and realize that yes, you were right to love them? By contrast, there's nothing worse than being disappointed in the second book you read by an author after loving their first. Thankfully, Tarquin Hall did not disappoint.



I first fell in love with his Indian detective Vish Puri (not just ANY detective, but India's Most Private Investigator) in The Case of the Deadly Butter Chicken. Although there were some moments in that book that sent me to the internet for more information about various aspects of India's history and politics, I was absolutely drawn in by the charming detective, his loving but ever-scolding family and, of course, the food. The exact same observations could be made of The Case of the Love Commandos, including the details about Indian life and society. I loved the descriptions of the frenetic pace of life in bustling cities and especially on motorways. It reminded me of Aravind Adiga's The White Tiger (another book that makes me want to visit India but never want to drive while there!).

My only complaint with this one is that we don't get to see enough of Vish Puri's family. His wife, mother and nephew have their own side story, but they are separated from Vish for most of the book, so we miss out on a lot of the banter that I so love. But all in all, I'd say I'm definitely a fan of the series! 


RELATED POSTS:
The Chinese Orange Mystery
The Pigeon Pie Mystery
The White Tiger

No comments:

Post a Comment