Sunday, February 16, 2014

BOOK REVIEW: Forget Me Knot, by Mary Marks


Forget Me Knot
A Quilting Mystery
Series: Quilting Mystery (#5)
Author: Mary Marks
Publisher: Kensington
Publication Date: January 7, 2014
Source: NetGalley
View on Amazon


Forget Me Knot is the "other sort" of cozy mystery from A Dark and Stormy Knit. While the two books are very similar--they are both amateur sleuth cozy mysteries set in the world of needlecraft--A Dark and Stormy Knit leads up to the murder with a series of escalating conflicts while Forget Me Knot just dives right in. I'd barely cracked the cover (okay that phrase is meaningless because I read it on my e-reader, but I couldn't think of the comparable term--"barely opened the file"?) when I'm confronted with a dead body. But that's not necessarily a bad thing if handled deftly, which this quilting mystery is.




Martha, Lucy and Birdie are a trio of quilters who find themselves solving a murder (I have a feeling it won't be their last) when they discover the body of fellow quilter Claire Terry. The ladies go about gathering evidence and piecing clues together in a way that reminded me of the episode of Murder She Wrote in which Jessica meets her own fan club and helps them solve the murder of one of their members (Season 7, Episode 14: "Who Killed J.B. Fletcher?" Originally aired February 10, 1991). They're so cozy and bustling and enthusiastic. I was drawn into their world and I can't wait to read more.

I'm not a quilter, but I have friends and relatives who are and I'll definitely be recommending this new series to them!

No comments:

Post a Comment