Monday, February 17, 2014

BOOK REVIEW: Death in the Vines, by M.L. Longworth

Death in the Vines
A Verlaque and Bonnet Provencal Mystery
Author: M.L. Longworth
Publisher: Penguin
Publication Date: May 28, 2013


Oh come on! What the --? This book started out SO cozy. There are neighbouring vineyards in the south of France and one of them is the victim of a wine thief. Oh no! Who could it be?

Uh, could it be the...



[I don't know if this counts as a spoiler because it doesn't reveal the ending but it does talk about things that happen past the first few chapters, so I'll put up a "spoiler warning" and let you decide.]

*SPOILER ALERT*




...serial rapist?

Yep. That's right. The major crimes in this book involve murder (to be expected in a murder mystery) and multiple rapes.

I did not expect that because everything about this book suggest it's a cozy mystery, not a crime thriller, so I didn't think there would be a serial rapist storyline! On the other hand, it's not the only cozy I've read this month with similar themes so maybe it's a trend? If so, it's not one I'm looking forward to. I know it was very common to have rape stories in those pulp fiction crime novels of the '50s, '60s and even '70s, but it is NOT my idea of a "cozy." At all.



Disclaimer: I received a digital galley of this book free from Edelweiss (Above the Tree Line). I was asked to write an honest review, though not necessarily a favourable one. The opinions expressed are strictly my own.


RELATED POSTS:
Bruno and the Carol Singers
The Grave Gourmet
The Pigeon Pie Mystery

No comments:

Post a Comment